Video Vault: The Smiths: How Soon Is Now

I have always loved 80s music, and when there was a nostalgic revival for us 90s kids, those who had grown up around music, already knew how good the music was from that decade. For others, it was like a new, undiscovered frontier of great songs. It was the golden age of MTV, and people still had records and CDs. MTV had VJs with shows that would unveil new music that never played on mainstream radio. I was lucky, though, because music has always been a huge part of my life, and I had young parents with really good taste in music. To my parents, their record collection is their 5th child. My dad can go on hours-long diatribes about what corporations have done to music, squeezing out talent and creativity; for him, it is personal. 

This album was one that was in the family collection, and the minute I heard this song, I loved it. It is hard to imagine that this song is 40; though very much identifiable as something from the 80s, it is still a standout. I don't listen to The Smiths as much anymore, and partially, that is because Morrisey is an unapologetic, raging racist, white nationalist, and bigot. Nonetheless, I don't indict the whole band; apparently, he wasn't that way when he was with The Smiths. That is how I justify posting this: I love their music, and you can too. Besides, what about Johnny Marr, the guitarist? He isn't like that. Should he be tarnished by Morrisey? It has affected the entire Smiths' legacy, which is a shame. 

With all that being said, their music was of a time when music had real genres that didn't meld into this glop of mindless pop music and fake "indie" bands. Like my dad, don't get me started. I take this stuff personally, too. 

That intro was sampled for this early 90s somewhat obscure catchy song. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPEN POST: Rejoice! Peckerwood Manor Is One Year Old Today!

OPEN POST: Peckerwood Field Trip - Finnish Hobby Horse Championships!