Video Vault: Garbage 'Stupid Girl'


Shirley stormed onto the scene with fire-red hair, eyeliner, creamy skin, and lyrics from that time. She was perfect for the 90s, stylish, with sharp edges, and irreverent, chic, and she had swagger like the big boys with an added vulnerability that made her irresistible. For young girls, she got it. This was when Riot Grrrls came stomping onto the scene in our combat boots, delicate dresses, attitudes, creativity, punk sensibilities, and feminism. 3rd wave feminism had to happen. We needed to reclaim our bodies and agency. We needed to fight. We needed to be loud and heard, and we had opinions. Loads of them. I feel sorry for those who had never experienced the pre-911 world; it was different and expressive, unhindered by somber introspection and fear. Believe me, the 90s were fantastic.

I would sit in my room and listen to Shirley like she was my friend, and I got a real kick because the boys backed her, and it was all about her. Without Shirley, there would be no Garbage. Shirley was the anti-Spice Girl, much like me, she didn't simper and was fine if you didn't love her music. She refused to overtly sexualize herself, she refused to be controlled, and she was taking no shit from anyone. And the red lipstick. It was one of my inspirations, not Gwen; it was old Hollywood and Shirley. 

It was the days of zines, DIY music, activism, and political involvement. We were young girls who gave a damn, and we were informed. My roots are here. Shirley played a role. Her middle finger was our middle finger. 


Photo Credit: BMG

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPEN POST: A Truly Bizarre Indian Tale of Twisted "Friendship".

OPEN POST: Ambrosia Salad: Yay or Nay?