OPEN POST: Kelly Clarkson Became The First "American Idol" 22-Years Ago!

It happened 22 years ago this month. Before she had a talk show, before she divorced the husband-from-hell, and back when cable and network TV could still unite us all, Kelly Clarkson became the first prize winner on "American Idol." Was it a more innocent time? Not necessarily, but Paula Abdul was a loopy, pill-popping delight (allegedly), Simon Cowell hadn't yet undergone a head transplant, and Randy Jackson was the cause of everyone and your grandmother saying, "Sorry, it's not for me, dog."

Second prize winner, Justin Guarini, has gone on to enjoy a more than respectable career on Broadway, and the rest of them? My mind has flushed them away. But I'll always remember Kelly's first prize rendition of "A Moment Like This." My eyes misted up when I first saw it, didn't yours? The genuine emotion of it has never been surpassed, I don't think, by any talent competition show since. 


Photo Credit: Reuters

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPEN POST: How Do You "Lazy" On Sunday? Plus Dee-licious Turkey Moussaka!

OPEN POST: Happy Friday the 13th!

OPEN POST: Start Your Week With Cher! Hoooooooooo!