Happy Friday, Peckeronis! Who's ordering the pizza? Tell me your favorites - places, toppings, recipes, stories....fantasies. Don't be afraid, this is a safe space!
Getty Ah, Autumn. There's a nip in the air, and probably in the pocket of the tweed jacket belonging to the stout gentleman with the field glasses. The sun beats down, melting the frost on the turf. The women are in silk headscarves, breeches, and puffer vests for once, athleisurewear of the last century, And we're all ready for the action to begin. It could be a steeplechase, or it could be a flat race, but the excitement is always the same. The sleek, powerful beasts are in the starting gate. The crowd holds its breath. THEY'RE OFF! Horses? Who said anything about horses? I'm all about the Jack Russells, spunky little dogs who will tear your arm off if you try and stop them (which is why the people who catch them at the end wear the same kind of gloves as people who handle eagles, no lie). They are a wee titch excitable on race day (and every other day) and that's why the racing rules include muzzles these days. Bred as rat-catchers, these pups never shy a...
The other day I saw this '58 Impala (which looks a heck of a lot like a '58 DelRay), and I just had to take a pic. In 1958 lots of important cinematic stuff happened: Bridge On The River Kwai won Best Picture at the Academy Awards and South Pacific was a massive hit in the theaters (I'd assumed Auntie Mame was the top-grosser of the year, but South Pacific made nearly twice as much, despite the odd color-tinting in certain big scenes). And Danny and the Juniors had the #1 song of the year with "At The Hop" So why don't I pick you and the rest of the gang up around 6:30 in my brand-spanking new Impala and drive us to the hop? I promise I won't feel you up (I'm what's known as a confirmed bachelor) but we can laugh and chat and gossip about those dizzy celebrities (like that tramp Lana Turner) and have a good 'ol time--after all, it's Open Post, darlings!
Mitch is dead or barely breathing, take your pick. But how much damage has he done to American democracy? Quite a bit, actually, and the list keeps growing. In fact, I'd argue that Mitch at his worst - Citizens United, anyone? - has destroyed more tenants of democracy than Trump, specifically with regard to the Supreme Court . I want Democrats to win in the midterms and the next general. But the rebuilding of what we once knew as a functioning government "for the people" will take more than winning elections - and things are liable to get very messy along the way. Once Mitch is gone, once Trump is gone, we're still be back at square one, despite a few hopeful signs. Hold tight.
Comments
Post a Comment