OPEN POST: The Sunday Roast Featuring The Russian Disco Van!

Getty Images

Get in, loser! We’re going roasting!

But we’re taking the long way around, so be patient while I tell you a story. A story of my youth. That’s right, we’re talking about the Before Times.

Before Trump.

Before Covid.

Before Y2K.

Before, yes, before Madonna was A Thing. Dinosaurs roamed the Earth, or at least Dino Martin did.

Back when I was a wee sprog, I, like all GenXers, watched a lot of cartoons. And one thing all of them (other than Looney Tunes) had in common was a cool vehicle. The Banana Splits had a dune buggy. Scooby and the gang had the Mystery Machine. Archie had his jalopy. Josie and the Pussycats had a party van. The Partridge Family had a cool skoolie. Yes, they had a cartoon. 

Naturally, I concluded that when you became a teenager you got a fun vehicle and drove around with your friends solving mysteries and singing pop tunes. Obviously.

I also believed that they carded you when you ordered a teenburger at A&W, but I digress. I was so innocent then.

Anyway, back in 2026 and in Russia, the army is currently suffering from what one might delicately call “a recruiting pinch,” as well as what one might call “an ass whooping at the hands of Ukrainian drones.” Their unique solution to both?

The disco van. 

Behold!

Half a million dollars of military technology, right there, my friends. Or rather a $20k van with about $10k worth of Temu mirror stickers on it, plus enough markup to keep an oligarch’s mistress happy in St Tropez.

Via _basedment on Instagram 

As Swedish Veteran puts it:

The theory is that changing reflections could make automated target recognition harder.

The reality looks a little less sophisticated.

Instead of becoming invisible, the van now glitters, flashes and throws sunlight in every direction as it moves, essentially turning a military vehicle into one of the most noticeable objects on the road.

If the goal was camouflage, Russia may have accidentally invented the opposite.

A comment on Reddit sums it up. “That’s going to look really pretty when it explodes.”

If it doesn’t manage to save the Russian army, we can expect to see it at Coachella next year. I call shotgun (too soon?).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPEN POST: Manor Music Monday With The Remarkable Claire Austin!

OPEN POST: Suri's Theatah Debut!